Thursday, October 27, 2016

NaNoWriMo

So, I sort of forgot I had this site.... But I'm back! No need to panic. So, I've been crazy busy. I started a new job at a castle. I'm a food server. I'm taking 15 credit hours at my college--Microbiology, English II, Psychology and Spanish I. And NaNoWriMo starts in four days. Not sure how I'm going to accomplish this, but here's to trying. As it turns out, NaNoWriMo is this is reason I'm finally blogging. For you who don't know, NaNoWriMo stand for National Novel Writing Month. People all over the world try to write a novel in a month, which is personified by a 50,000 word goal. I did it last year for the first time and I'm going to attempt it again. Who knows how well that'll work.

In any case, I'm inspired, thanks to Pinterest. I've found pictures of my characters and pictures of my world and pictures for books. Anyway...let me introduce you to to my characters:


Readers, this is Jonathon Graves. These pictures are not a great representation of his style of of clothing or state of being (he's a bit more rough looking and has a lip piercing and wears rattier clothes), but his face is the important thing (minus the smoulder). He's seventeen and bipolar. His nine-year-old half-sister, Rose is in foster care. His dad kicked him out at sixteen and he's been fending for himself for a year and discreetly robbing his employers of small bits of money to keep a hotel room to sleep in through the winter. The story opens when he finally gets caught and arrested.

 And, here's Lauryn. I couldn't find an exact picture of her. I feel like I'm being mean to her, but she's not as pretty as any of these pictures. (I literally found these pictures and thought, 'These look like her, but she's not nearly as pretty." Sorry, Lauryn.) But she's got the hair of the picture on the left, the (sort of) face of the left one and the clothing and makeup style of the one in the middle.
Anyways, seventeen as well. She lives with her dad and his wife--her step-mom-- her older brother, Nate and her cat, Lucy. Her twelve-year-old sister, Jenna, disappeared ten months ago and police have reason to believe she was kidnapped. Lauryn's life started deteriorating since then. She does anything to kill the pain. The only thing that keeps her from suicide is the hope that maybe her sister might return home. She doesn't want her to make her way back from all that just to find that her older sister is dead. But at the opening of the story, something has happened that has made her lose that hope and she's finally decided to do it.

And then! I found a picture for my cover! I'm so excited. :)

"Long breath in. Long breath out. Jenna’s pink duvet wrinkles as I adjust my position. The dull pencil scratches against the line paper. I wipe furiously at my eyes with the back of my hands. I’m so ready to be done with life."
Lauryn's little sister, Jenna, was kidnapped nearly a year ago and Lauryn's whole life has spiraled downhill from there. Her dad stopped her in the middle of her suicide attempt and now she's in the hospital trying to figure out another way to die. 
"'Drop your weapons and put your hands in the air! This is the police!'"
Several hundred miles away, Jonathon gets arrested doing something he's done several times and thought he'd mastered. Now he's in the back of the police car, trying to figure out how to tell Rose that her big brother is a thief. 
At the end of their options, both teens are given the opportunity to visit a world beyond the scope of modern science. A place drenched in magic and a darkness that's slowly creeping underneath everything. Undetected. 
Anyway, enough about me. I'd like to hear about anybody who's doing this as well and I'd love to friend you on NaNoWriMo and hear about your story. I'm Once Upon A Fantasy... on NaNoWriMo, if you'd like to find me and message me telling me you've read this blog. I'd love to connect with you.
I'm planning to go to bed early October 31st and wake up at 11:45 so I'm all snacked up and ready for midnight when NaNo truly starts. Anyone in? 
Let's do this! 


























No comments:

Post a Comment