Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Writer's Block

I'm watching Anne of Green Gables and Gilbert said something that struck me as profound.
You can mope and cry all you want, but it won't help you write a better novel. 
I once heard someone classify different types of writer's block. One of the ones that I frequently suffer from is Lazy Writer's Syndrome (LWS.)

  • Jessi Roberts suggested to ask "What if?" to jump start a plot. What if so-and-so died? What if they got engaged? What if the dragon didn't die like everyone thought? 
  • Or just sit your butt down and force the story from your brain to your fingertips. 
  • One thing I like to do is change the font color to white and don't even see what I'm writing and let my instincts carry it away. No one has to see it. You can edit later.
  • Even if you're the pansters to top all pansters, sometimes you should try plotting. Or if your a plotter to top all plotters, try writing by instinct. 
  • Talk to other writer's friends and ask their opinions. NaNoWriMo is a great place to do that and they're having a virtual summer writer's camp for free, here

No comments:

Post a Comment